Thursday, May 9, 2013

Find the (good natured) humor

Out and about yesterday, including mentoring at a charter school, I had occasion to encounter plenty of average folks.  You know, the average Joes and Janes of our great nation.  Some I know, others I don't.  During our interactions, I looked for good-natured humor.  Something, a quip, whatever that could produce a chuckle or smile.

For example, I stopped at a coffee shop, since there was 45 minutes available before I needed to arrive at the charter school.  While ordering a cup of coffee, I saw and added to the order an all too tempting cinnamon roll.  In response to the clerk's question if I wanted the roll heated, my response was, "No, I'll take it just the way it came off the tree."  It took a moment, but she finally smiled and chuckled.

We all need to find good-natured humor.  Enjoy and share a smile and chuckle.  (In drafting this post, I have gone back to insert good-natured, because there seems to be way too much poor taste, personal slams, insults, sexual innuendo, harassment, and rudeness that some try to pass off as humor at the expense of the feelings of others these days.)

Certainly there is plenty to worry about, but why focus upon these things?  Look for and find the good-natured humor.  You'll feel better, it will improve your outlook on like, and others benefit as well.

The Marine friend about whom I've written in my posts is a great example.  Whenever we are together, it's almost a contest to see who can find the most humor.  Sure, we may take each other on, in a manner only available to close friends, but we never cross the line.  As a result, we're constantly laughing, thoroughly enjoying our time together.

Over time I've watched how finding the good-natured humor in our everyday lives can make all the difference.  For me, it it usually in the form of a quip, a spur of the moment or observation.  One example happened in, of all places, a men's restroom in a fast food restaurant located adjacent to a major highway.  We'd stopped, both to empty our bladders and get a bite to eat.  Uncharacteristically, there was a line of men waiting to relieve themselves.  (I know, women observe this is common in their restrooms.  Trust me that it us very unusual for us guys.)  Anyway, I joined the line.  Several others filed in behind me, all of us silently awaiting our turns.  Then a gent walked in, saw the line, and asked, "Are you all waiting to use the john?"  Not able to resist the opening, I replied, "Nope, we all just decided to meet here today."  Perhaps a wise-ass   comment, it nonetheless produced a great guffaw from everyone.  Humor, found in an unlikely spot.

I seem to recall that as youths we could find humor more easily than as adults.  Assuredly there weren't socially necessary filters to much of the youthful humor, producing inappropriate or cruel actions serving as the sources.  Nevertheless, our youth find it easier to find the humor in the everyday.  Why do we, as adults, either fail to find the good-natured humor or suck it out of our daily lives?  Why have scowls and frowns replaced grins and smiles?  Why do we hear more curses that chuckles or laughs?

Undoubtedly there are many challenges, large and small, long and short term, crucial and minor facing us all.  There are also times to be serious.  But, in the average moments during an average day for the average Joe and Jane, there are also ample times to find the good-natured humor.  All you need to do is look for it.  Share that grin and chuckle.            

No comments:

Post a Comment