Tuesday, June 11, 2013

All is right in the world


It is particularly difficult not to become morose at the myriad “reports” shoveled upon us, day-after-day, with one negative begetting another.  Dueling experts fill the airwaves, Internet, and print publications with dire predictions and personal condemnations.  Being an informed member of society comes at the significant cost of (negative) information overload.  Makes one want to withdraw from the information super highway and seek out a simpler, perhaps less informed life.  If for no other reason than enjoying our lives.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, relished, and cherished.  The interactions and relations with our fellows are to be the sources of love, laughter, and accomplishment.  Our pursuits, other than employment, are meant to provide such delight that we look forward to the next time we can engage in the activity.  Employment should provide some sense of purpose and meaning other than just production of income.  Above all else, government should be neutral and in the background, rather than intrusively in the foreground.  In any regard, life should be the font of happiness.  Therefore, from our daily lives springs that which provides amusement, sense of achievement, love, friendship, fitness, and security.

Having entered retirement with the expectation of increased happiness, it’s distressing to realize that having more time to follow the “news” is actually in opposition to that happiness.  Thus, I strive more and more to “tune out” the various informers.  On those days I am very successful in this pursuit, my happiness is greater.  When concluding my day’s activities reading a book on the back deck, comfortable on the new lounger chairs my wife purchased, with a cold brew at hand, all is right with the world.  When rolling along on the roadways in the saddle of the Harley-Davidson, feeling the wind in my face, all is right in the world.  When watching a short video of my grandchildren practicing paddle boarding in the pool or seeing a group picture they sent telling Nana and me “good night,” all is right in the world.  When making the coffee for my bride in the morning, all is right in the world.  Even having finished a day of household chores and minor home improvements, taking off the work gloves and pulling the sweaty t-shirt over my head indicate all is right in the world.  And kissing my bride good night irrefutably declares all is right in the world.

What does the above teach me?  Seek the enjoyment in life.  Engage in that which generates smiles and laughter, and a sense of contentment.  Do not fester at the plethora of negative “news” being belched out by the so-called media.  Turn off the TV news, don’t open the Internet “new” site.  Focus on the positive, the enjoyable, and that which provokes laughter and love.  Do not allow the other to incite feelings of sadness or germinate depression.

So, taking my own advice, I’m about to crank up the Harley and head to a charter school, at which I’ll join in a celebration of those marvelous young folks.  No doubt tonight, after returning, I’ll sit on the deck next to my bride, look over at her, and know all is right in the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment