Sunday, October 26, 2014

California cruising

Ah, yes, fall is upon us.  According to a friend and fellow biker in the Pacific northwest, the cold rains have returned.  Reading about the east coast, seems the same there.  And across the majority of the states, if it isn't cold, the rains have begun.  More's the pity.  It is probably that most of the bikers n those areas are prepping and storing their bikes for the long winter ahead of us.

Locally, however, the weather is great for cranking up the bike and taking the opportunity to enjoy the distinct advantage we bikers enjoy.

Towards the end of last week, I rolled out to one of my favorite places for a snack.  The place and the snack were just the pretense for the ride.  The weather was near perfect and, being during the workweek, the back country roads would be virtually empty.  And so it was.  The proverbial wind and sun in the face, absence the noise and congestion of the local freeways, it was a wonderful day and locale for an outing.

Arrived at the destination just as a group of senior bikers were departing.  A popular place.  Got my snack and drink and went outside to enjoy the day and peaceful surroundings.

While California has plenty of problems, at least in our area I am able to enjoy biking nearly year round.  There haven't been too many days in which I wouldn't be comfortable bringing the bike out of the garage.  A singular advantage of this part of the country.

For the die hard biker, it is a good thing.  Despite all the over regulation, higher than national average gas prices, urban congestion, wacky politics, and large number of strange folks, at least this part of California enables me to throw a leg over the saddle and get in some miles each and every week.

So, for my fellow bikers in the rest of the nation, when I hop on the ride tomorrow, I'll briefly think about your inability to do so.  I hope you think kindly, because I know if our roles were reversed, you'd do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment