Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Rolling along, seeing America

Motorcyclists hold a distinct advantage over those who routinely travel in an automobile.  So it was, as I hit the road over the past week to visit family.  As much as possible, I avoided the large freeway in California - Interstate 5.  In doing so, I maximized the advantage we motorcyclists so passionately enjoy.  For those who don't ride, let me explain.

First, there is the exhilaration of the wind in the face while rolling along.  Associated with this physical phenomenon is the requirement to pay closer attention to the overall environment, much more than most drivers of cars.  With a decidedly smaller footprint than the average car, the rider must be ever aware of his surroundings, primarily for his own safety.  And while riding safely, the motorcyclist observes more of his surroundings.  The natural beauty of the country, the frenetic activity of his fellow citizens, the weather, and the pace of life.  With the wind in your face and attention on your surroundings, your travels are far more interesting.  I've seen sights that those in cars undoubtedly missed.

Second, by avoiding the largest of the freeways and taking alternate routes, I'm also able to avoid traffic.  At least to the greatest degree possible.  Transiting Los Angeles is a pain, no matter what route one chooses, so there is some inevitable traffic congestion.  After years of experience and practice, I do have a route that avoids the most significant areas of trouble.  Once through or past these areas, the ride becomes very pleasant and enjoyable (refer to the first point).  For example, Route 58 East from Bakersfield in the early morning.  Or Route 46 East from Paso Robles in the early morning.  Both rolled through open countryside, distinctly agricultural.  Just gorgeous!  Post card perfect examples of why some call California the Golden State.  With sparse traffic, cool temperatures, and a comfortable bike, these rides were utterly serene and most enjoyable.

Third, traveling solo by motorcycle has been the source of wonderful interactions with my fellow countrymen and -women, as previously written about.  On this trip, I met several nice folks.  For you see, when away from the hustle and bustle of major cities and urban areas, while avoiding the major service areas on I-5, I find the folks warm and friendly.  Like the guy I encountered coming out of a restaurant where I'd stopped for breakfast.  He was parked next to me and commented on the Marine Corps license plate frame and the appearance of the bike.  For a couple of moments, after we shook hands, we just chatted.  No obligation.  Neither seeking anything from the other.  Neither in an inexplicable hurry.  Ends up he is a long haul trucker and knows lots of young Marines who have entered that profession after leaving active duty.  He's not a vet, but admires Marines.  Just two guys exchanging some words and smiles.  Has I been driving a car, we never would have met.  Then there was the server at Big Bubbas Bad BBQ in Paso Robles.  Before writing about this nice lady, I want to highlight another aspect of riding solo across our country.  Food.  I make it a point not to stop at any of the national chains -- another reason to avoid the major highways.  (Actually, my son has taught me to avoid the chains.)  Since riding a bike is as much about the trip as it is about the destination, I take the time to hunt out the "mom and pop" places.  Normally the food is much better, the service superb, and the price reasonable.  A good sign is if there are a lot of pick-up trucks in the parking lot.  If you're whizzing along the major interstates, it's unlikely you'll take the time to enjoy one of these places, since they are off the beaten path.  (I've also decided to take notes from the TV show "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives," so I can be prepared for my next trip.)  Anyway, back to the memory.  I was spending the night  in Paso Robles and as I rode into town, I saw the BBQ sign.  Mouth started watering, so it's where I headed for a couple of beers and some BBQ.  The server was the only one serving a large area, as it was later afternoon/early evening.  She adroitly managed it all, with a smile, and juggled numerous orders without fail.  I had a terrific meal, a couple of Buds, listened to country/western music, and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere she helped create.  If we take the time to enjoy life, it provides plenty of smiles and memories like these.  Like the gent and lady above, there are countless others out there, who make the trips a real adventure.  Traveling by bike provides the opportunity to take in the feel of the country...to interact with average folks who like to smile and share a bit of conversation...to enjoy the real, instead of the conjured up, corporate, rush-though-the-day life others would have us think is the norm.

So, even when riding in the cold, or getting a sunburn, or swallowing a bug, travels by motorcycle are vastly superior to riding in a car.  There's no climate control.  No 500 watt, eight speaker stereo, or an adjustable seat.  No aim it and go.  A rider is far more in tune with his trip, aware of his conveyance, and sensitive to the environment.  And, you have the great fortune of interacting with the average, everyday folks that make this country fantastic.    

That's why a motorcyclist has the distinct advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment