Thursday, September 13, 2012

Small kindnesses

It truly is easy to get caught up in the never-ending-cycle of negativity broadcast by many (mainstream media, bloggers, conservatives, liberals, ad naseum).  Actually, every day we all experience and observe small acts of kindness.  So-called "average" citizens sharing the human experience in a kind, thoughtful way.  As a newly retired individual, I've committed to recording some of these acts each day.  For example, the lady who sees someone approaching the crosswalk into which her car had intruded as she attempts to peer around the corner.  Observing an individual approaching, she backs up - clearing the cross walk.  Or the Japanese clerk at the local Starbucks.  After responding to her in Japanese, she has always presented a smile and recognition in Japanese (ohio guyamus).  Nothing that is required of her, but a small, kind gesture.  A regular, run of the mill kindness.

As the decision to retire was made, I realized that there is too much negativity.  Hell, I've even posted negative comments about the current candidates for President.  However, there is so much more to life and most of it is very happy and kind, even if we have to take the time to focus on it.  Sometimes it sneaks up on us, catching us by surprise.  Let me provide an example.

First some back ground.  My high school buddy and I usually join up each summer for a road trip on our Harleys.  Yep.  the quintessential white guy middle aged attempt to return to our youth.  Won't say what year we graduated from high school, but the Detroit Tigers won the World Series that year.  Anyway, on our annual road trip a few years ago we were rolling north on Route 101 in southern Oregon.  It was very cool (high 50s), which isn't a real joy on a motorcycle.  After a couple of hours of riding in the cold mist, we stopped at a local place that was sort of like a coffee shop combined with an art gallery.  We parked the bikes, dismounted and headed for the front door.  You need to try to imagine the way we looked.  Leather chaps, leather jackets, beards, Harley ball caps. boots, the whole nine yards.  I also wear a denim vet over the leather jacket.  The vest sports a variety of U. S. Marine Corps patches and emblems, plus the US flag.  As a retired Marine, figure I can pull it off.  Anyway, we walk up to the front door.  As we approach, a lady was also heading to the door.  So we stopped and held the door for her.  After entering, it took a while to get our bearings.  Being the astute land navigation expert that I am, I saw the natural tracks to follow.  Actually, it was the big signs overhead that led me to the coffee shop.  Here we encountered the lady again.  Numb from the cold ride, we stepped out of line and insisted she go first.  Finally, after reading the posted menu, we ordered our coffee and some nosh.  After placing the order, I reached for my wallet and was surprised when the clerk stated, "The lady paid for your order."  Thoroughly amazed, we attempted to locate her, but could not.  To this day, I don't know what motivated her to perform this act of kindness.  was it that she took pity on two cold souls?  Did she recognize the USMC patches?  Did she respond to our courtesy of holding the door?  A simple kindness that stays with me.  So, on another road trip last summer, with the same buddy, I decided to pay it forward.  We'd topped in Santa Cruz for breakfast.  It was a really nice diner, with a great menu.  While stuffing myself, I noticed an elderly couple who came in.  Appeared to be late 80s or so and out for a meal.  Can't say exactly what it was that motivated me, but as we were departing, I went up to their server and paid for their meal.  Really made me feel like I'd done something nice. We quietly departed and never looked back.  A small kindness for some strangers.

Anyway, there are small and large acts of kindness all around us.  I challenge us to be on the lookout for them every.

From my front porch ti would be a better world if we focused on the positives, not the negatives.            

No comments:

Post a Comment