Saturday, July 4, 2015

Proud American

During the ten years I spent overseas in my 30 years of active duty with the United States Marine Corps, each and every time I came back to the states and saw the American flag, I was filled with pride.



No matter from what part of the world I was returning, as soon as I saw our flag flying, I knew I was home in the greatest country on earth.  It could have been the small flag flying at an airport, one flying at a public school, or one waving from the back of a motorcycle or pick-up truck.  It was our flag and represented the nation I was serving.

To those, both then and now, who criticize our country, stop and think for a moment.  First, it still looks like more people want to come here than leave (personally, if you think it's really bad here, don't let the door hit you in the butt as your leave).  Second, if we are not the best nation on earth, why do so many want to attack us?  Third, to those here in America who criticize our nation, only our freedoms provide you the right and safety to complain (try doing the same thing in Syria, Iran, North Korea, or ISIS controlled Iraq).  And finally, be thankful for all the men and women who wear the uniforms of our Armed Forces, because they serve the nation and honor the flag.

Even today, when traveling by motorcycle or pick-up truck around the neighborhood or along the freeways, the sight of the flag is stirring.  Riding the Harley through our small town today, en route to a BBQ at the local Harley dealer, I couldn't count all the flags flying at houses, businesses, and government offices.  From trucks and bikes.  The stars and stripes were flying.

American pride present and on display.

No comments:

Post a Comment