Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Camaraderie

Old comrades, the foundation of camaraderie, are terribly important.  It is particularly the case in the world of the U. S. Marine Corps. 

Today I had the pleasure of breaking bread with two comrades from my years as a Marine.  Each has gone to war multiple times for our country and Corps and each is unshakably loyal to country and Corps.

As oft is the case, we spoke of the same old sea stories, which still produce the predictable shake of the head or the laughter and smiles.  We also broached new territory, which is unusual.  This led to a series of comments and questions, observations, and memories.  One topic of discussion was the first Gulf War, to which they deployed, but I did not.  I had the fortune of being in command, but not a command that deployed for the great war.  Dave, the most outspoken of the three of us, laughed as he recalled that when they were in the desert, each had observed that they knew I was working my bolt to get to the war.  Of course I did!  That is what Marines do, head to the sound of the gunfire.  Alas, my efforts were unsuccessful.  I was able to deploy a few of my Marines, but no significant numbers and definitely not my headquarters.  Paul, the circumspect and erudite of the group, recalled that during the current war he learned to run in shower shoes.  He was heading to showers at one of the major airfields when one enemy rocket landed to the left, then one to his right.  This is what we call being bracketed, meaning the next one would land right in the center, i.e. where he was standing.  So off he ran.

As we discussed those days, we agreed that in this world there are people that only understand the force of arms, either as a threat or a deterrent.  To the liberals who believe talking to the evil people in the world is the answer, please sit down sometime and talk to Marine combat vets so you can learn about the really mean, nasty folks that are out there.  They'd just as soon cut your throat as look at you.  Marines have seen this, and more.  

We talked warmly about fellow Marines we admire, harshly about those we don't.  You see, being a Marine means (in part) that there are many highly held standards that can't be diminished.  Recalling the first Gulf War, we rounded criticized some senior officers for inappropriately insinuating themselves, and other senior officers for permitting it.  Those officers diminished the standards and rightfully warrant the disdain aimed their way.

But, in the end, camaraderie is very positive and uplifting.  It doesn't matter if the sea stories are repeated, nor that it is months between our confabs.  I remember each as an ultimate professional, men I could send into harm's way, leading their Marines.  Each continues to uphold the standards previously mentioned.  Each served their country and Corps with honor and distinction.  I can trust either man with my life.  More importantly, when we were on active duty, I could trust them with the lives of my Marines.

Semper Fidelis!   

No comments:

Post a Comment