Friday, January 4, 2013

Determination

2013 has arrived and, after discussion with and wise counsel from my bride of 42 years, I'm determined to look for and concentrate more on the positive and happy than the negative and sad.  This is not to say the negative and sad aren't there, but why the hell waste an inordinate amount of time focusing upon them?

As I've written about earlier, there really are sources of smiles, humor, and happiness surrounding us.  First is the collective grouping of our fellow citizens.  While the media, political parties, commercial establishments, unions, and others would like to believe otherwise, we are far more similar than dissimilar.  Left to our own devices, we can be a rather happy (if large) group.

Since arriving, or actually returning to the determination to look for and take enjoyment from the everyday, I've been profoundly pleased to note that most people are rather nice.  Even the casual encounters in public, whether with the folks working in the establishments we frequent or those with whom our paths cross, produce smiles.  As an illustration, the other day my wife and I were driving to our credit union to conduct some end of the year business.  In front of us were a man and woman on a sports bike (sports bike is a phrase used to describe a specific type of motorcycle, different from the Harley cruiser that I ride).  As we exited the freeway and took surface streets to the credit union, the bike was right in front of us.  I remarked to my wife that the operator of the bike was doing an admirable job, riding sensibly, and maintaining safety situational awareness, as evidenced by his constantly checking the surroundings.  Unlike some bikes riders, he wasn't over accelerating or whipping corners.  Coincidentally, the bike pulled up in front of our credit union, the young riders dismounted and headed for the door.  I held the door for them and then commented to the guy that I was impressed by his safe operation of the bike.  Both he and his gal broke out into smiles.

Key is that no names were exchanged, no long conversation was engaged, and nothing was sought by the encounter.  It was just an opportunity to say something nice to someone and receive a smile in return.

There have been other momentary exchanges that proved just as warming.  While out for my morning run, I've passed people who looked up, smiled, and said, "Good morning."  By Jove, that's the spirit.  So, taking their excellent example to heart, I am taking the initiative to smile and say hello to folks I encounter.  With this determination, I've begun to seek out the positive each day, look for the little episodes of enjoyment from whatever pursuits provide us pleasure.

Approaching life in this manner, as my wife encourages, will provide a foundation for the positive.  A trigger for smiles.  A more optimistic outlook. And ultimately a more satisfying life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment