Friday, January 11, 2013

Meet great people at the court

Nope, not referring to the legal type of court, wherein guilt/innocence or fault/lack of fault are decided.  I'm referring to the tennis court.

In the retired stage of life, I play as much tennis as possible.  While certainly there are a wide variety of folks found in any element of life, for the most part I've found some really great people at the tennis courts.   Now, to be candid, the level of tennis I play isn't going to threaten those who play at Wembleton or any of the other championships.  While we may think the competition is that acute, it actually isn't.  But it is a lot of fun.  Laughs and smiles, even when losing.

What's the source of such enjoyment?  Competition!

May by nature, is a competitive animal.  He needs to strive to win and takes joy in winning and not in losing.  Tennis is a great way to feed that competition desire that is in us all.  Even the liberals like to win, for crying out loud.

Tennis, unlike some other sports, offers both team and individual accomplishment.  What a great way to feed the competition monster in us all.

One shot is a killer ( or at least I think it is) and the next shot is miserable.  Oh well.  That's the way it goes.  And the people I meet on the court are normally really nice and engaging folks.  Compete head-to-head and then laugh about it after the match is over.

My wife, were she to read this, would ad a foot note, citing that I am way too competitive at times.  Better to take it out on the courts than on the roadways or in the office place. I get some exercise and meet some of the greatest people anywhere.

Keep it coming, tennis, so I can meet great folks and have some fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment