Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Family time

Without a doubt, family is the most important part of our lives.  

From the beginning of our lives, the family in which we are raised provides the foundation for our future success and happiness.  Our (female) mother and (male) father provide the living environment in which we grow, plus offer role models from which we learn.  The arguments that single mothers (over 70% of black children are born out of wedlock) and same-sex "partners" can provide the proper environment for a family is simply rubbish.  Social scientists are clear on the point that the traditional heterosexual home of mother-father-children provides the best upbringing. 

Having necessarily defined the best home environment, let me now get to the meat of this posting.

Time spent with our family is cherished, as experienced recently during a vacation at Lake Tahoe.  My wife and I joined our son (plus his dog), daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren for a week of bonding and smiles.  Piled into a vacation home, the house was filled to the brim with love.  

The morning rituals, established during other vacations, included my rising first and awaiting the two older grandchildren to awaken.  Once awake, they came into the kitchen, where they enjoyed their first bowl of cereal, after a big hug for me.  We'd talk low, as the youngest grandkid and other adults were still asleep.  Then it might be a game of cribbage with our granddaughter, as our grandson played on an iPad.  After a while, the youngest granddaughter, a precocious toddler, would enter the room, declaring, "Hi guys."  Eventually the other adults would find their way into the kitchen and thus the day began.

Throughout the week numerous activities provided new memories.  Trips to one of the many beaches located on the lake.  A half-day fishing charter with my son-in-law.  Working on a complex jigsaw puzzle.  Bicycle riding.  BBQ on the rear deck.  Playing with the dog.  Horseback riding.  Taking son-in-law and grandson fishing and observing our son-in-law teach our grandson how to fish, including the excitement of his first catch.  Watching a movie at night.  More games of cribbage.  And constant laughter.  Each evening, the highlight was eating the evening meal out on the rear deck.

At times I was content to just sit back and observe the interaction of our son with his nephew and nieces; my wife in her role as Nana; the grandkids playing with each other; our grandson playing with our son's dog; our son-in-law expertly cooking; our oldest granddaughter working on art with Nana; my son and daughter catching up on the adventures of mutual friends; and all the other little aspects of a family gathering.

Throughout the week, I was in heaven, emerged in this family time, surrounded by the beauty that is the Lake Tahoe basin.

On the last evening, we walked to a spot our daughter had discovered, and took a variety of family pictures.  Looking at them, I choose to smile at the character evident in each smiling face.

We are so very blessed y our amazing family.  Perhaps I compensate at this stage in our lives, working harder for these family times.  For 30 years I allowed my Marine Corps career to dominate.  Additionally, I was gone far too often, leaving my bride to raise the kids and run the home.  But now that I am no longer in uniform, all these times spent with family have top billing.

And I think these times are important to the kids and grandkids as well, because as we departed to head back to our home nine hours from them, our grandson hugged me and said, "See you in October."     

No comments:

Post a Comment