Monday, December 10, 2012

Hearing from friends

Unexpectedly hearing from friends, with whom we haven't been in close contact, is one of the all time greatest pleasures.  When such a call is received, it's guaranteed to generate a smile.

And smiles are good for the soul.

Inevitably, there is some time spent catching up since the most recent meaningful contact.  How are the kids?  How is the job?  Any new situations?  In my case, questions about biking, music, working out, tennis, etc.

You may have guessed by now that such a call was taken today.

Out of the blue I took a call from a young, at least compared to me, gent with whom I worked while in a K-8 school district.  Without exaggeration, he is one of the most positive thinking and acting individuals I ever encountered.  He and his wife have a wonderful family, and are focused on what is really important in life.  They both work, and work very hard, in public education.  When you read or hear of teachers and administrators who don't do their jobs and aren't in the profession to take care of kids, these ARE NOT the folks you hear or read about.  Long hours for mediocre pay.  But it is always kids first.

Any way, back to my friend.  His positive attitude is infectious and his mentoring meaningful.  Over the time we worked together, he constantly highlighted the importance of making our lives count.  Using the phrase "life is too short," but not in the insincere manner that permeates most conversations in which the phrase is used.  His view is to enjoy the time we have with our families, while also finding that which makes us happy and pursuing it, undertaking both goals in balance.  Knowing I am a retired Marine, he offered encouragement to pursue my avocations, those activities that provide pleasure, plus time with my wife, kids, and grand kids.  Often he'd comment that I should retire-retire, meaning depart the work force.

Well, when it came to making the fairly recent decision to retire, as my wife and I were weighing the pros and cons as part of the decision making process, his mentoring and advice resonated loud and clear.  When he called today, I also felt a twinge of guilt, for not having reached out to him, to thank him for the great advice.

As I compose this post, his laughter, which was always present, continues in my ears.  I can see his smiling face, grin at his jokes, and appreciate the sincerity of his comments.

So, it is a pretty damn good day when we hear from a friend.

As the saying goes, doesn't get any better than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment