Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tolerance versus (so-called) offense

Seems that almost every day the so-called news carries a story about how some individual or group, having declared the taking of offense at some something or another, has filed suit, staged a sit-in, castigated someone, boycotted, demanded altered behavior, insisted upon others accepting their preference, or otherwise decided to leverage their views in a manner that will impact and encroach others.

It occurs that in a country of 300 million, almost assuredly something you do or believe offends someone else.  The degree, level, or reasonableness of the offense notwithstanding.  Holy upset Batman!  Damn, I'd better make sure that I don't do anything that offends someone.  Let's see, I'm a Marine.  Dang, that offends the antiwar crowd.  I'm a white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant, which offends too many people to count.  I'm a Christian, which offends atheists.  I'm an American, which offends the UN and Iran.  I'm a tax payer, which offends those who get upset when the nanny state doesn't provide even more "free stuff."  I'm a voter, which offends those supporting the candidates and measures for whom/which I didn't vote.  I expect people to obey the laws of the road, which offends those who text while driving and drive while impaired by alcohol.  I expect the clerk at the local market to be able to correctly count out change from a cash purchase, which offends those seeking progressive education reform.  I respect the police, which offends those who commit crimes.  I support free speech for all, including conservatives, which offends the professors at the two universities at which I worked.  I expect leaders, supervisors, and management to show up for work, which offended my perpetually absent boss.  I like country music, which offends rappers.  I have a swimming pool that I seldom use, which offends my neighbor.  I ride a motorcycle, which offends many.  I drive a pick-up, which offends the environmentalists.  I pay my bills on time, which offends the credit card companies and banks.  I am a Republican, which offends Democrats.  I believe in a strong national defense, which offends the anti-military crowd.  I believe teachers are accountable for the progress of their students, which offends the teacher unions.  I believe parents are first and foremost responsible for their children, which offends those looking to the state to be surrogate parents (such as, "It Takes a Village").  I believe in personal responsibility and accountability, which offends elected officials.  I believe in small government, which offends progressives.  I believe in the rule of law, which offends those in our neighborhood who come onto our property to steal clippings from our plants.  I believe in the sanctity of the American home, which offends the neighbors who pull their dogs onto our lawns to defecate and urinate.  I believe in Christmas music at Christmas, which offends the secularists.  I believe only citizens should benefit from the support of the government, which offends the immigration activists.  I believe in working for what you get, which offends those seeking total support from the state.  I worked hard to earn my pension, which offends some in Congress.  I've been married to the same wonderful woman for more than 40 years, which offends those who change spouses as regularly as they do shoes.  I believe marriage is defined as being between one woman and one man, which offends the LGBT community.  I work out every single day, which offends the pharmaceutical companies desiring to sell me the next best drug.  I drink beer, which offends the oenophiles.  I believe our country is "one nation, under God," which offends the atheists and secularists (again).  I believe in the truth, which offends nearly everyone.  I believe in recognition of merit in the workplace, which offends unions.  I believe legislators should thoroughly read and comprehend legislation before voting on it, which offends Nancy Pelosi.  I believe coming under hostile fire in a war zone is too serious an event to lie about, which offends Hillary Clinton.  I live up to my marriage vows, which offends Bill Clinton.  I believe the Senate should follow the Constitution, which offends Harry Reid.  I stand respectfully and at Attention during the National Anthem at sporting events, which must offend the crotch scratching professional athletes.  I believe I should show my government issued identification to be able to buy beer or vote, which offends the progressives.  I stood ready to put my life on the line for our country, which probably offended most elected officials.  I refuse to provide personal information, which offends the poll takers and marketeers.

Dang.  I've just begun scratching the surface and it seems that simply being alive in our country results in offending someone.

What about a novel approach?  Tolerance.  There are many, many things for which I don't care, at which I take offense.  That doesn't mean I need to rush out and attempt to force others to accept what I like and abandon their pursuits.  I tolerate much, as a good citizen is expected to do.  As long as the elements at which I take offense are legal, natural, and moral, I have no problem tolerating them, assuming they don't encroach into my privacy or life.

Far too many want to force their views and pursuits upon us, insisting -- nay, demanding -- that we immediately accept and advocate their positions and actions.  Some march under a false banner of tolerance, while concurrently displaying the most vehement expressions of intolerance.  Others would have us believe they are nobly pursuing "diversity," while it is apparent their pursuit is actually their own unique brand of dogmatic uniformity.  Should one dare to fail in accepting their demands, boycotts, public denouncement, media driven vilification, condemnation, allegations of racism, and legal action await.        

Our nation, as vast and multifaceted as it is, certainly has room for divergent views and actions, within the caveat of legality, morality, and naturalness.  Unless or until an individual or group cross the very real lines of imposition, the law, morality, privacy, or the other essential elements accorded citizens, I'll tolerate them.  I won't support them and don't expect them to support me.  I will exercise my right to vote to express displeasure when they attempt to force something upon me.  Unlike them, however, I will not issue demands, organize boycotts, publicly vilify them, or take legal action against them.

That's the difference between tolerance and (so-called) offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment