Saturday, March 8, 2014

Isn't this like what life in our great country should be?

I was struck that my daily cycling outings in our community are metaphors for what should comprise our lives in America. 
  • I display the discipline and determination to head out every day, even when slightly tired or not particularly motivated.
  • I obey the laws, while expecting my fellow citizens do the same.
  • All achievements are due to my abilities and the effort I expend using them.
  • I ride a mixture of hills (up and down) and flats, some requiring more effort than others.  It's impossible to head out and back and go down hill all the way.
  • I'm left to pursue my goals, without interference from others.
  • No one demands that I give up cycling as a form of exercise and take up jumping rope.
  • On those last minutes riding up hill (steep hills, by the way), I don't look to grab onto someone's passing car for a free ride.  Nor do I wait at the bottom of the hill demanding that someone tow me to the top.
  • When passing another cyclist laboring up a hill, I offer words of encouragement, not derision.
  • When passed by another cyclist doing better than I am, I'm motivated to improve, not give up.
  • I worked for the funds used to purchase the bicycle.  I didn't expect or demand a local, state, or federal government office provide it to me for free.  
  • I take responsibility for the condition of my bicycle and don't expect someone else to maintain or repair it.
  • If seeing a fellow cyclist experiencing difficulty along side the road, I offer assistance. 
  • I choose my route and destination freely, without some government bureaucrat directing/demanding I go a particular route to a specified destination.
  • If one of my tires goes flat, I stop by the side of the road and make the necessary repairs to get back on the ride.  I don't demand others stop to assist.  I don't call a local, state, or federal government office and demand that they come out to fix the flat.
  • The satisfaction of a new personal record for a ride segment belongs to me and me alone.  No local, state, or federal government bureaucrat shares in achieving the new personal record.
  • If coming on an impediment in the bike path, I go around it, rather than complaining incessantly about it. 
  • My ride today, like every day's ride, didn't take anything from anyone else.    
As I finish the last steep uphill climb to the house and pull into the driveway, the accomplishment and accompanying sense of achievement are mine and mine alone.  I'm proud of them, even if it wasn't the fastest time or the longest distance covered.  I don't expect a brass band to be playing or a television reporter waiting to interview me.  Self satisfaction on something individually well done is its own reward. 

Isn't this like what life in our great country should be?

No comments:

Post a Comment